11.2.09

This time, we like bugs




Maria and I both use a fan to help us fall asleep. Three nights ago, the fan died, leading to my discovery of this site. Almost as good as a fan.
Dr. Bushey got new red glasses. She insisted that this might be the most exciting news to come from Hillsdale this week.
I got a flickr and finished my identity project.
A murder of crows is trying to murder me. Last Saturday, I spent the night at Heidi’s house. For some reason, over a hundred crows (I am NOT exaggerating) really like to roost in the various tall objects at the end of her block. It’s super eerie. So on Saturday, Heidi and I got out of her car, and seeing the trees filled with black, rustling, pooping, squawking birds, I screamed “CAW!” I guess they were a little freaked out. They rose in a menacing black cloud and Heidi and I ran inside. The next morning, we discovered a very strange pattern on the street outside. There were white splotches of bird dookie covering Heidi’s car completely, and more poop on her front porch. There was crow shit nowhere else. By Tuesday, I had mostly forgotten about the murder’s warning. I was studying in my room at Kappa with the window open when I heard a feathery rustling. I looked out. Ten crows were roosting in the tree directly outside my window. The moment we made eye contact, they began to caw. I fear for my life.
I have no idea why my text is appearing so much smaller than Carly's.
Maggie

Chez Janine et Bruno

I came across something between a middle school and a high school (ages 13-16, roughly), whose students were having a mid-day break. About 85% of them were smoking.
Bruno was late for dinner tonight. While everyone else was dining, he entered the kitchen with his arms full of plein air paintings and a dead duck.
The French noun meaning a kiss, when used as a verb, becomes a very vulgar term. An American student attempted to explain the expression “kiss the cook” to her French family, and unfortunately used the verb form. The family was shocked to hear that Americans are so grateful to their cooks.
There was a strike last week that involved the workers from the train station, as well as teachers from several preschools and grade schools. It was a nation-wide strike, but locally it took up the entire main boulevard that cuts Tours in half. I’ve never seen so many children in one place.
The other night Janine and Bruno’s three grandsons came over: Hugo, Louis and Atour. Two-year-old Atour was assembling an animal puzzle while grandma Janine quizzed him, me and another foreign student on the names of the animals. At the end of the night Hugo exclaimed “Bonsoir, mesdemoiselles!”
Tonight we had pasta for dinner. With ketchup.
In mass, the congregation addresses the priest in the formal form of the word “you”, but we address God in the informal. There is a corner of the church dedicated to parking Razor scooters.
Bruno attended a strict Catholic school run by brothers when he was young. He went to mass every day, and confession very often. So often, in fact, he admitted to inventing most of his sins.
I am finding that my thoughts are lately half in English and half in French: “Wow, that’s a joli vélo,” or “Crap, I oublié my cahier.”
February 2nd was the « Fête de la Chandeleur », or Candlemas (the day Jesus was presented in the temple). Traditionally you eat crepes on this day. Holding a gold coin in your left hand, you flip the crepe with your right granting yourself the chance to be rich all year. Janine has a gold coin from 1857 with the face of Napoleon on one side.
I visited the Museum of Fine Art and the Museum of Natural History (every first Sunday of the month is free museum day). The Museum of Fine Art, originally the Archbishop’s palace, exhibits a giant stuffed elephant in the courtyard. At the Museum of Natural History, I saw the “Builder-Insects” exhibit. I learned: the domestication of bees began in Egypt; the Asian Hornet feeds on bees, and can kill up to two every three seconds all while hovering; and didgeridoos are made of branches that have been hollowed out by termites. The rest of the museum displayed stick bugs, giant grasshoppers and a tube of ants that went halfway around the room.
It surprised me today to think about how much Tupperware I have bought in the last three years. And pairs of gloves.
This week I saw figure skating ducks, gave a local directions, crossed the Loire River, consumed a star, spoke on the radio and went to an open skate where they played December 1963 (Oh What a Night) in French.
I took the bus for the first time by myself. After descending, I was approached by a young French gentlemen. He asked me where I was from. Seeing as I had never talked to him, I was surprised he knew I was foreign. Apparently he saw me on the bus looking curiously at all the buildings. He wanted to practice his English and was “amazed to meet me again.” He put me in the hands of a female student who helped me find the gymnasium. I confessed to her that I was uncomfortable with how open he was, and she explained to me that French university students are very open, and will approach anyone they feel like talking to.
It was Damy’s birthday. He showed me how to say “Happy Birthday” in Korean. I have been making little hand-bound notebooks for birthday gifts.
This week was my wine tasting class, something I imagined to be civilized and cultured. Apparently in order to get the full flavor, it is necessary to swish the wine around in your mouth, producing a terrible slurping noise. To taste a wide variety of wines in one sitting, the sommelier demonstrated that you spit each wine into a bucket after tasting it.
In verbal expression class we played French Taboo Junior. The buzzer doesn’t buzz but instead squeaks like a rubber duck.
I took a walk down “antique street” and stepped into a shop where I met an older British woman who was “delighted to welcome” me. I told her I hope to open an antique shop one day myself, and she told me how wonderful it is to work with furniture. She gave me a map of Tours and recommended some vintage clothing shops. As I was leaving she said “It looks as if the sun is coming out that you might enjoy your walk!”


J’ai vu quelque chose entre un collège et un lycée (entre les ages 13 et 16, plus ou moins) où les étudiants avaient une recréation. Environ 85 pourcent fumaient.
Bruno a été en retard pour le dîner ce soir. Quand tout les autres dînaient, il est entré la cuisine avec les bras pleine de peintures en plein air et un canard mort.
Le nom « un baiser » deviens un mot vulgaire quand il est utilisé comme une verbe. Une étudiante américaine a essayé d’expliquer l’expression américain « embrassez le chef » à sa famille d’accueille, et malheureusement elle a utilisé la verbe. La famille était choqué d’entendre que les Américains sont tellement reconnaissant aux leurs chefs.
Il y avait une grève qui a inclus des employés de la gare, et aussi des instituteurs de plusieurs écoles maternelles et écoles primaires. Elle était une grève nationale, mais localement, elle occupait le grand boulevard qui coupe Tours en deux. Je n’ai jamais vu tellement enfants dans un seul endroit.
L’autre soir, les trois petits garçons de Janine et Bruno sont rendus visite : Hugo, Louis et Atour. Ayant 2 ans, Atour assemblait un puzzle des animaux quand Mamie Janine questionnait son petit fils, moi et une autre étudiante américaine aux noms des animaux. À la fin du soir Hugo s’est exclamé « Bonsoir, mesdemoiselles ! »
Ce soir nous avons mangé des pâtes. Avec du ketchup.
Pendant la messe, on s’adresse au prêtre avec « vous », mais on s’adresse Dieu avec « tu ». Il y a u coin réservé pour les patinettes.
Bruno suivait des cours à une école strict et Catholique qui était dirigé par des frères. Il est allé à la messe tout les jours, et la confession très souvent. Tellement souvent, en fait, qu’il a admit d’inventé la plupart de ses péchés.
Je trouve que beaucoup de mes pensés dernièrement sont la moitié en anglais et la moitié en français : « Wow, that’s a joli vélo, » ou « Crap, I oublié my cahier. »
Le 2 février était la fête de la Chandeleur (le jour ou Jésus-Christ a été présenté dans le temple). Traditionnellement, on mange des crêpes sur cette jour. En tenant un pièce d’or dans la main gauche, on fait sauter un crêpe avec le main droit pour se donner la chance de devenir riche pendant toute l’année. Janine a un pièce d’or de l’année 1857 avec la figure de Napoléon à l’un coté.
J’ai visité la Musée des beaux arts et la Musée d’histoire naturelle (tous les premiers dimanches de la mois sont gratuits pour entrer les musées). La Musée des beaux arts, originalement la palais d’archevêque, expose un grand éléphant empaillé dans le cour. À la Musée d’histoire naturelle, j’ai vu l’exposition qui s’appelait « Insectes Bâtisseurs ». J’ai appris : le domestication des abeilles a commencé en Égypte ; le frelon asiatique mange des abeilles, et peut en tuer jusqu’à 2 tous les 3 secondes, tous en suspendant ; et les didgeridoos sont faits des branches qui était évidé par des termites. La reste de la musée exposait des phasmes, des géantes sauterelles, tube des fourmis qui a entouré la moitié de la salle.
Ça me suis étonnée aujourd’hui de penser combien des boules en plastique j’ai acheté pendant les trois années dernières. Et des paires des gants.
Cette semaine j’ai vu des canards patineurs, donnés des directions à des gens du coin, traversé la Loire, mangé une étoile, parlé sur la radio et je suis allée au patinoire, où on a entendu le chanson anglais « December 1963 (Oh What a Night) » en français.
J’ai pris le bus pour le première fois moi-même. Apres le descendu, J’a été approché par un jeune homme français. Il m’a demandé d’où j’ai venu. Pas lui parlant, Je me suis étonné il a su que je suis étrangère. Apparemment, il m’a vu sur le bus en regardant curieusement aux tous les bâtiments. Il a voulu pratiqué son anglais et était « stupéfait de me verra encore ». Il m’a laissé avec une étudiante qui m’a aidé trouver le gymnase. Je l’ai avoué que je n’était pas confortable avec comment ouvert il était, et elle m’a expliqué que la plupart des étudiants universitaires français sont très ouverts et s’approcheront n’importe qui ils en voudraient parler.
C’était l’anniversaire de Damy. Il m’a montré comment dire « joyeux anniversaire » en coréen. Je faisais des petite cahiers relié à main pour les cadeaux d’anniversaire.
Cette semaine a passé mon cours de dégustation des vins, quelque chose que j’ai imaginé d’être civilisé et cultivé. Apparemment, afin d’obtenir le vrai goût, il faut se gargariser le vin dans la bouche, en produisant en bruit terrible. Pour goûter un grand variété des vins en un seul séance, le sommelier nous a montré qu’il faut cracher chaque vin dans un seau après le goûtant.
Dans le cours d’expression orale nous avons joué Taboo Junior. La sonnerie ne sonne pas, mais plutôt couine comme un canard en plastique.
Je me suis promenée sur la rue des antiquités et je suis entrée dans une boutique où j’ai fait la connaissance d’une dame britannique plus âgée qui était « ravie » de m’a accueilli. Je lui ai dit que j’espère ouvrir une boutique des antiquités un jour moi-même, et elle m’a dit comment merveilleux c’est de travailler avec des meubles. Elle m’a donné un plan de Tours et m’a recommandé quelques boutiques des vêtements vintage. Quand je partais, elle a dit « Ça me semble comme le soleil sort pour que vous appréciez votre balade ! » et un
Carly

2 comments:

  1. Those notebooks look totally sweet, Carly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I solved the text problem. By the way, your identity project is super cool, not unlike yourself.

    ReplyDelete